Elbit Systems’ SPEAR MK2 is a fully autonomous, vehicle-mounted 120mm soft recoil mortar system for high-mobility platforms. SPEAR MK2 delivers effective fire support by combining the flexibility and lethality of accurate mortar fire with exceptional tactical mobility. The mortar is a derivative of the combat-proven soft recoil mortar which is muzzle loaded and turntable-mounted and is being used extensively by the US Army, NATO, the Israel Defense Force and others.
The first export customer of the vehicle was Azerbaijan. The beginning of the country's receipt of mortars from Israel became known in September 2017.
- Improved area coverage and survivability – equipped with recoil system that reduces the 120mm barrel’s firing loads from 10 tons to 15 tons, SPEAR MK2 can be mounted on a variety of high-mobility light vehicles such as HMMWVs, Jeeps and other rapidly deployed wheeled platforms.
- Command and Control – SPEAR MK2 is equipped with computerized aiming and navigation devices, enabling the mortar system to be operated autonomously and aimed without the need for external reference points. SPEAR MK2 can be integrated with a variety of battle management systems (BMS) and includes technical fre management, scheduled fire plans, a prioritization target process and an attack result forecast. The system also manages ammunition, personnel, assignments and serial number equipment reports.
- Flexible configuration – the system can operate independently with forward observers and/or deployed forces. The system can also be deployed on a standalone basis or as part of the battery/platoon configuration.
- Improved accuracy – targeting information is relayed to the fire control system (FCS) which computes the ballistic data and orders the electric drive system (EDS) to position the mortar barrel to the exact azimuth and elevation. The mortar fire control system (MFCS) receives feedback from the north finding system (NFS) and inclination gauge units (IGU).
- Enhanced situational awareness –the system generates a comprehensive tactical picture that includes both friendly and enemy forces along with additional battlefield elements, enabling accurate threat analysis and an attack result forecast.
- Adaptable to a wide range of highly-mobile light vehicles due to a unique soft recoil mechanism
- Rapid deployment, improved area coverage and survivability
- Installed on a standalone basis or as part of the battery/platoon configuration
- Automated and accurate mortar barrel laying
- Common operational picture and enhanced situational awareness
- Increased fire power and efficient use of ammunition
- Suitable for a range of highly-mobile light vehicles
- For use with all types of qualified 120mm smooth bore ammunition
- Rapid deployment; in and out of action within 60 seconds
- Deployed by 2 to 3 crew members
- Rate of fire: burst up to 15RPM
- Manual backup of aiming gears (elevation and traverse)