DRB Hicom Group
To contribute towards Malaysia's industrialization and self-reliance defence policy, DEFTECH's mission is to build a sustainable business enterprise in defence industry through achieving excellence core activities such as:
a.The marketing and sale of military vehicles, associated equipment spare parts and other products in the Malaysian and potential export market.
b.The development and production (assembly/manufacture and system integration) of military vehicles meeting the operational requirement of our potential customers.
c.The provision of effective and efficient Integrated Logistics Support services in repair, refurbishment and upgrading of military vehicles and other military products.
DEFTECH's objectives in the short and medium term are as follows:
- To foster and maintain our market position as the leading manufacturer, system integrator, supplier provider of Maintainance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) services and repairer of military vehicles, related equipment, other products and spare parts in Malaysia.
- To seek and diversify into other sectors of the local defence industry and into the commercial sector by developing resources and facilities to meet our projected business requirement.
- To acquire and develop the expertise and know-how through transfer of technologies from our foreign partners so as to enable DEFTECH to assemble, service, repair, maintain, refurbish and upgrade all type of military vehicles and other products in particular armoured vehicles.
To operate effectively within the dictates of our environment, our strategies for the attainment the above-mentioned objectives are as follows:
- Forming strategic alliance with international manufacturers to enhance DEFTECH's product range and to acquire technology for the assembly, system integration, repair, maintenance, service, refurbishment and upgrading of vehicles and other products.
- Maximizing the synergistic use of all available facilities within the DRB-HICOM Group and the country for the assembly of vehicles and fabrication of vehicles bodies
- Collaborating with the Ministry of Defence on R&D and Skill Enhancement Programme for the development of Specialist vehicles and training of technical manpower
- Providing a one-stop center for the supply of spare parts, maintenance, service, refurbishment and upgrading of militray vehicles.
- Constantly seeking opportunities to expand our customer's base through penetration of potential export market.
LOCATION and FACILITES
DEFTECH is presently operating from various locations. These are:
A. Defence & Security Manufacturing Division Pekan, Pahang
DEFTECH currently has a dedicated defence Plant which was established at a cost of approximately RM70 million in 2001. The Plant is situated on a 25.6 acre site and has a covered work area of approximately 180,000 sq feet.
The Plant has been fitted with resources and facilities and has the flexibility to undertake a variety of different jobs at any one time. It is also fully equipped with resources which are capable of generating most of its requirements in house. The Plant also has:
- A workshop for the repair (including base overhaul), maintenance, refurbishment, and upgrading of all types of soft skinned and armoured vehicles.
- A dedicated assembly/production line for all types of military vehicles.
- A comprehensive Research & Development Department equipped with latest CAD hardware and associated software which enables DEFTECH to undertake its own design work for its product development.
- A warehouse with the requisite facilities for the stocking and distribution of spare parts nationwide.
- A computerised Materials Resources Planning (MRP) System for all aspects of Production Planning and Control of assembly activities and inventory management.
- A Test Track for the testing of Armoured and Soft Skinned vehicles (wheeled and tracked) of up to 60 ton MBT complete with NATO Standard Obstacles.
B.Corporate HQ-Section 15 Shah Alam, Selangor
DEFTECH has its Corporate Headquarters located in a purpose built office complex in Section 15 Shah Alam, Selangor. It houses all the Divisions and Departments that drive DEFTECH towards achieving its Corporate Goals. It is collocated in the same area as DEFTECH's Engineering Division.
C.Engineering Division-Section 15 Shah Alam, Selangor
DEFTECH's Engineering Division was established on 1st June 2004 in order to widen the customer base. The main aim of establishing the Engineering Division was to:
- Established a dedicated Dvision to focus on commercial vehicles
- Develop new products for the commercial market
- Support specialist vehicle body fabrication requirements within DRB-HICOM Group
- Eplore potential regional export markets.
The Engineering Division's factory at Section 15 Shah Alam is located on the same site as DEFTECH's Corporate HQ. It has the following resources and facilities.
- Covered Factory Area of 36,000 sq feet
- Heavy Duty Workshop Machines
- Parking Area of 15,120 sq ft
In respect of R&D projects, DEFTECH had succesfully completed the following projects:
- 33 units of Gomba Stonefield Field Ambulance
- Configuration of the Light Recovery Vehicle
- Configuration of HMG/AGL/106mm RCL carrier based on G Wagon chassis
- Configuration of High Mobility Troop Carrier and Command Vehicle on the Duro 6x6 chassis
- The design, fabrication and manufacture of the DEFTECH Armoured Vehicle Wheeled 4x4 (AV4)
DEFTECH is also seeking ways and means to design, fabricate and manufacture its own military and specialist commercial vehicles.
STRATEGIC GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP DEFTECH has entered into strategic alliance with a number of renowned international defence manufacturers
- FNSS From Turkey for the ACV 300
- Daimler Chrysler from Germany for G military vehicles
- Alvis from UK for Supacat 6x6 All Terrain Mobile Platform
- Isuzu Motors from Japan for Isuzu Trucks
- Mowag from Switzerland for Duro vehicles
- Iveco from Italy for heavy duty military trucks
- Giat Industries from France for Caesar 155mm 52 Cal Truck Mounted Artillery System
- Raba from Hungary for Special vehicles components
- Flyer form Flyer Defence LLC
- IRKUT Corporation, Russia